Saturday, April 21, 2012

I LIke Surprises ... But

The 2012 WNBA Draft was held this past Monday and, while many experts agreed that next year's draft would be perhaps the most anticipated in league-history (courtesy of the heralded Brittney Griner, Elena Delle Donne, and Skylar Diggins),  this year's event did provide a few surprises.  And hey, I like surprises.  Questionable ones like the curveball the New York Liberty tossed with their first round selection of Tennessee Vol Kelley Cain however, threw me completely.  It threw off all the ESPN commentators as well including former Lib Rebecca Lobo.  It took them all a sec to process who Cain was -- a player who missed her entire senior year due to injury.  Though she did play overseas this year, it had appeared, from this clip, that playing basketball in the future would be doubtful ... like Peyton Manning type doubtful: 



I had imagined the Liberty would select speedy point guard Sammy Prahalis out of Ohio State.  I mean, I like Leilani Mitchell, their current woman at the one, but Prahalis is more of a scorer, more aggressive, more of a complete floor general, not to mention slightly bigger.  Well, as fate would have it, the Phoenix Mercury scooped her up -- a smart move considering that team's run and gun style of play and the loss of Temeka Johnson.  The word was that Liberty coach and general manager John Whisenant wanted a big body anyway, and, at 6'6", Cain fits the bill -- but there were other players, other healthier players, that could've seized that role just fine.  Heavy duty, dirty in the paint players like Sasha Goodlett or LaSondra Barrett.  I hope Whisenant's decision does not come back to haunt him.  He should be well aware that the Liberty have the most playoff appearances without a trophy.   I hate to say it but I would not be astonished if they miss post season this year.  You didn't hear it from me.
As for good surprises?   Well, I'll point out the obvious first.  We know Nneka Ogwumike will wreck.  Nneka and a healthy CP3 will wreck the league.  In fact I will go so far as to put them in the 2012 WNBA Finals ... so long as CP3 stays off the disabled list.  I don't think the Lynx will have that hunger to repeat and I expect their star players to be rather weary from the London Games.  Not ineffective, just too tired.  
The team that will turn heads will be the Tulsa Shock.  Trust me when I tell you that they will NOT lose 31 games.  I just don't see that happening.  They picked four more than capable women in Glory Johnson, Riquna Williams, Vicki Baugh, and Lynette Kizer.   All should see decent playing time.  C'mon.  They gotta be good for at least 15 wins.  At least.  

I think the Washington Mystics, Chicago Sky will improve on their 2011 records.  However I think the Indiana Fever, Atlanta Dream, and Phoenix Mercury will see a drop.  The Mystics added the aforementioned  LaSondra Barrett and Fighting Irish phenom Natalie Novasel.  Clever pickups in my opinion.  Both have exceptional collge track records.  Meanwhile, the Sky acquired veteran forward Swin Cash.  Everywhere that woman has gone, she leaves with a ring.  Cash and Sylvia Fowles should be interesting.   They also boast  Le'coe Willingham and Ticha Penicheiro.  Lookin good.  Will they make it to the Finals?  I think they have a bona fide shot.  We'll see.   The Eastern Conference could surely use a championship to keep the league buoyant. 

The Fever are getting older.  'Nuff said.  It would be nice to see Tamika Catchings get hers but it won't happen this year.  The Dream, even with newly minted member Tiffany "Tip" Hayes from UConn, are not in my forecast to return to the Finals.   Their star center Ericka DeSouza won't be there because of her Olympic obligations to her native Brazil.  And they will miss her badly, like they did in the first two games of the 2011 WNBA Finals.  The Mercury will miss Penny Taylor who's out with a torn ACL.  I've always loved Penny's style of play.  As good as any small forward to play the game.  The Mercury will no doubt suffer.  

But I will say I'm fond of their new point guard Sammy "Styles" Prahalis.  I, personally, would've preferred a point guard of, say, Lindsay Whalen's size.  They have Sammy listed as 5'7" and I think that's being generous.  But hey, this kid's got chutzpah to spare.  I'll leave you with this vid:
Peace.
WNBA Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment